Announcement of the winners of the 2021 GreenTech Innovation Awards – Urban Ag News
Amsterdam – Today, the winners of the GreenTech Innovation Awards were announced at the opening of GreenTech Live & Online. The winners out of a total of 20 entries are: Corvus drones BV with Corvus Drones in the ‘Concept’ category and Van Iperen International with GreenSwitch Original in the ‘Innovation’ category.
President Liselotte de Vries (TU Delft AgTech Institute) explains: “The winners have teamed up with other expert partners and have a system approach, which is essential for future circularity and upcycling solutions to hold up commercially and have a significant impact. It is a force that they do not view the greenhouse industry in isolation.
Category concept: Corvus drones BV with Corvus Drones
Product Description: The drone is a fully automatic flying drone in horticultural greenhouses for crop monitoring purposes. Unique is the automatic navigation based on visual odometry software (GPS signals are too weak to be used in a greenhouse). Seed germination, usable plants and leaf area measurement are the first applications.
- “Corvus has chosen to join forces with strategic partners in a platform concept. Each partner being strong in something else, the combination is very strong and promising ”
- “The business model, a subscription model, is inspiring and can be an example for other companies”
- “More dynamic greenhouse assessment tools are welcome in the context of the digitization of crop production and precision agriculture”
- Opinion of the jury: work to clarify the interest of using drones on other platforms (eg: labor carts)
- Question from the jury: How to fly in dense cultures?
Innovation category: Van Iperen International with GreenSwitch Original
Product Description: GreenSwitch® Original is the first nitrate fertilizer from an organic source. It is a pure, crystalline liquid formulation suitable for high tech greenhouses and any fertigation or foliar application in the field on fruits, vegetables and ornamental plants.
- “Simplified fertilization with a great contribution to the circular economy”
- “We appreciated the systemic approach adopted by GreenSwitch by associating different players in the food and energy supply”
- “Potential for worldwide application”
- “Interesting principle for the extraction of other nutrients (other sources) in the future”
- Question from the jury: is it scalable? What is the business case and expectation for adoption of biogas plants?
The winners, nominees and nominations for the Innovation Awards will be presented and can be visited during the exhibition.
To view the long list of all Innovation Awards nominations, please visit: https://www.greentech.nl/live-and-online/innovative-products/. And the nominees: https://www.greentech.nl/live-and-online/innovation-award/nominees/.
The 2021 GreenTech Innovation Awards jury is made up of:
- President: Liselotte de Vries, TU Delft AgTech Institute (Netherlands)
- Silke Hemming, Wageningen University & Research (Germany)
- Peter Zwinkels, Tecknokas (Netherlands)
- Mark Durno, Rockstart (United Kingdom)
- Perry van Adrichem, Horti-Tech BV (The Netherlands)
- Wolfgang Steiner, Gemüsebau Steiner GmbH & Co KG (Germany)
The jury’s advisory committee is made up of:
- Brian Sparks, greenhouse grower (United States)
- Leonardo Capitano, Vivai Capitanio (Italy)
- Enrico Verhoef, Total Greenhouse Service (Mexico)
- Heinrich Dressler, Haymarket (Germany)
GreenTech Live & Online registration
Visitors can still register through www.greentech.nl/live-and-online/.
GreenTech Live & Online will be held from Tuesday 28 to Thursday 30 September 2021. GreenTech Amsterdam, in full physical format, from Tuesday 14 to Thursday 16 June 2022. The exhibition is a global meeting place for all professionals in horticultural technology in focusing on the early stages of the horticultural chain and the current issues that growers face.
GreenTech is supported by AVAG, the industry association for the greenhouse technology sector in the Netherlands.
More information via the GreenTech website or follow GreenTech on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.